Asheville School was founded in 1900 by two Ohio men, Charles Andrews Mitchell and Newton Mitchell Anderson. Previously, the pair founded the University School in Cleveland in 1890. The founding of these two schools was a daring experiment in preparatory education, as it challenged the time-honored system of British classical education. Anderson’s concept for Asheville School was of a place where boys could prepare for college or for the business world; where the body, through organized athletics, would be trained as well as the brain; where boys could learn constructive work with their hands as well as their heads.
Fifty-three boarding students from grades 5-12 -- called "forms," according to the British system -- were enrolled that first year. A century later, Asheville School has a diverse co-educational student body, remaining true to its founders’ vision of a small boarding school where students come to learn, build lasting friendships and receive an education that goes far beyond the classroom.
Since the beginning of the 20th century, Asheville School has been careful to maintain the integrity of its original Tudor-style buildings while also incorporating newer structures into the campus master plan. Named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996, Asheville School has held a place of distinction in the field of independent education for more than 100 years. Asheville School continues to maintain that place of distinction in the 21st century as one of the nation's leading boarding schools.