The Asheville School College Office is pleased to host the 2019 Family College Weekend on Friday, February 15 and Saturday, February 16. This program is for the parents and families of our Fifth Form students, but any interested Asheville School parents or families are welcome to attend.
The weekend will give parents and students a chance to talk to college admissions professionals to get a better understanding of the college search and admissions process. Topics include what expect over the next year, how to begin building an application list, and how the selection process works for different colleges. Parents will also have the opportunity to work together to evaluate mock-applications.This year, we are excited to host the following college admissions panelists for the weekend:
- Deb Shaver, recently retired Dean of Admission at Smith College
- Rod Jackson, Senior Associate Director of Undergraduate Admission and Director of Diversity Recruitment at Southern Methodist University
- Bob Nesmith, Dean of Admission and Financial Aid at Centre College
If you have any questions, contact College Office Director Leah Lambert by email at email@example.com or 828-254-6345 ext. 4202.
On Saturday morning, everyone will participate in a mock admission exercise for the fictional "Plymouth Shores University." We'll divide students and parents into groups, and each group will decide whom to admit, deny, and waitlist.
If you plan on attending the weekend, we encourage you to take a look at these documents in preparation for the mock admission activity:
- Plymouth Shores University – Overview
- Examining the Files
- Candidate Review Form
- Applicant 1: Dorri Johnson
- Applicant 2: Henry Watanabe
- Applicant 3: Marcela Castillo
You can also see this year's handouts here:
- The Washington Post: "The Disconnect Between What Colleges Say and What Students Hear"
- U.S. News & World Report: "Parents, Read This if Your Child is Applying to College"
- Middlebury College: "The Top 10 Things to Understand About Need-Based Financial Aid"
- Middlebury College: "The Top 10 Things that Parents Should Remember About the College Search Process"
- Georgia Tech Admission Blog: "Change Your Filter"
- Harvard Graduate School of Education: Taming the Admissions Anxiety
- The New York Times: "Why Girls Beat Boys at School and Lose to Them at the Office"
- Suggested Reading
- Class of 2020: Standardized Testing Timeline and Recommendations
- Class of 2021: Standardized Testing Timeline and Recommendations
- The Competitive Landscape 2018-19